WiFi LoRa 32 (V3) -w- ESP32-S3

Hello all- I have not been able to locate board or library support for the WiFi LoRa 32 (V3) with the ESP32-S3 chip in either the Arduino or Platform IO development environments. Could someone possibly provide guidance? Thanks much!

3 Likes

我也想要,我傻了都。找了好几个小时啊,发布好像没多久,实在不行换v2去了

Good to know others are searching for V3 support.

“It is really impossible to switch to v2.” (is how it translated)

I believe you meant V3

我连烧录程序都不行
A fatal error occurred: Invalid head of packet (0x47)

Details seem to be available on GitHub here, or there are some instructions on how to install the software through the IDE Boards Manager provided in the Heltec documentation area here. It’s taking a while to download everything, but I’m seeing the right sorts of progress messages.

Thanks much. Will take a look…

I have already installed develop environment 0.0.7
However, I’ve noticed that examples in https://github.com/HelTecAutomation/Heltec_ESP32 are not so much updated. Since I’m not getting my WiFi LoRa V3 board working with LoRa, I’m confused

2 Likes

Hey kepler – I looked at the some of the examples associated with the link you provided. Based upon my experience, they are not likely to work as they reference the heltec.h library, which did not appear to support V3.

In essence a development environment such as the Arduino IDE or Visual Studio Code -w- the Platform IO extension needs to support both the board and the associated libraries. UniquePete has located a git repository that calls out support for the V3 board – it does look potentially promising. I am looking into it, it may take a few days. I have (2) V3 boards and hope to configure a Lora sender / receiver pair.

1 Like

Yes, it’s all working fine here. I have both WiFi LoRa 32 V3 and Wireless Stick Lite V3 pairs happily playing [LoRa] ping-pong, having successfully loaded the relevant example sketch to each of them.

Unfortunately, my own LoRa application that runs fine on V1 and V2 boards fails on the V3 board, so there’s still a bit of work to do to work out what’s changed there…

Would you mind sending / linking the example TX / RX programs & libraries you were able to ping-pong with V3? I have to cleanse some prior libraries to resolve conflicts. Good luck with V1 & V2. Thanks UniquePete

The latest 0.0.7 library integrates all the previous libraries. Previous examples of other libraries can be found here.

Thanks all - removing prior libraries and a fresh install of the 0.0.7 library restored V3 board #1 to factory Lora RX mode. Now on to V3 board #2 & TX…

“Hello World” Lora sender / receiver pair now working. Thanks again everyone.

working on V3 (both the sender & receiver)

Describe how you got it working!!! I have never had so much trouble bringing up a board (V3) on Arduino IDE. I cannot compile practically any sketch and when I do, I cannot load it because it sees the wrong ESP chip. I am about to send these devices back to Amazon (I have 2) because Heltec is not supporting this device with the correct libraries/board/etc environment.

Help from anyone who has V3 working…

3 Likes

I can elaborate later as far as providing step-by-step details. In the meantime, I would suggest reviewing UniquePete’s post from Nov 23rd as it contains links to the V3 board definitions the Arduino IDE needs, along with updated Heltec libraries that support V3

I followed UniquePete and finally got Blink to compile and the following during upload:

Sketch uses 219053 bytes (16%) of program storage space. Maximum is 1310720 bytes.
Global variables use 16088 bytes (4%) of dynamic memory, leaving 311592 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 327680 bytes.
esptool.py v3.3
Serial port COM4
Connecting…

A fatal error occurred: This chip is ESP32-S3 not ESP32. Wrong --chip argument?
Failed uploading: uploading error: exit status 2

Trying to compile other Heltec Lora 32 Examples I get the following for all compiles using just about any board (WiFi Lora V3, WiFi Lora V2, etc:

In file included from c:\users\lawrence01073\appdata\local\arduino15\packages\heltec-esp32\tools\xtensa-esp32s3-elf-gcc\gcc8_4_0-esp-2021r2-patch3\xtensa-esp32s3-elf\include\c++\8.4.0\string:41,
from c:\users\lawrence01073\appdata\local\arduino15\packages\heltec-esp32\tools\xtensa-esp32s3-elf-gcc\gcc8_4_0-esp-2021r2-patch3\xtensa-esp32s3-elf\include\c++\8.4.0\stdexcept:39,
from c:\users\lawrence01073\appdata\local\arduino15\packages\heltec-esp32\tools\xtensa-esp32s3-elf-gcc\gcc8_4_0-esp-2021r2-patch3\xtensa-esp32s3-elf\include\c++\8.4.0\array:39,
from c:\users\lawrence01073\appdata\local\arduino15\packages\heltec-esp32\tools\xtensa-esp32s3-elf-gcc\gcc8_4_0-esp-2021r2-patch3\xtensa-esp32s3-elf\include\c++\8.4.0\tuple:39,
from c:\users\lawrence01073\appdata\local\arduino15\packages\heltec-esp32\tools\xtensa-esp32s3-elf-gcc\gcc8_4_0-esp-2021r2-patch3\xtensa-esp32s3-elf\include\c++\8.4.0\functional:54,
from C:\Users\lawrence01073\Documents\Arduino\hardware\heltec\esp32\cores\esp32/HardwareSerial.h:49,
from C:\Users\lawrence01073\Documents\Arduino\hardware\heltec\esp32\cores\esp32/Arduino.h:173,
from C:\Users\lawrence01073\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino-sketch-D58C91985DA5A30825EF129AB14279FD\sketch\LoRaWan_OLED.ino.cpp:1:
c:\users\lawrence01073\appdata\local\arduino15\packages\heltec-esp32\tools\xtensa-esp32s3-elf-gcc\gcc8_4_0-esp-2021r2-patch3\xtensa-esp32s3-elf\include\c++\8.4.0\bits\allocator.h:46:10: fatal error: bits/c++allocator.h: No such file or directory
#include <bits/c++allocator.h> // Define the base class to std::allocator.
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

exit status 1

Compilation error: exit status 1

Do you have this link in the Arduino boards manager? It defines V3

https://github.com/Heltec-Aaron-Lee/WiFi_Kit_series/releases/download/0.0.7/package_heltec_esp32_index.json,https://raw.githubusercontent.com/espressif/arduino-esp32/gh-pages/package_esp32_dev_index.json,https://raw.githubusercontent.com/espressif/arduino-esp32/gh-pages/package_esp32_index.json

V3 has an ESP32-S3 chip

Make sure also you have the most recent version of the Arduino IDE 2.0.2