Wireless Tracker v1.1 Arduino v2.2.1

I picked up a Wireless Tracker v1.1 today, but I’m really struggling to get it going. When it arrived, it just displayed an error about wifi connection failed. I flashed the factory test and a simple blink example, but both just boot loop. I’ve tried switching to DIO 80m flash mode, but it made no difference. I was able to use esp-idf and successfully flash a blink example. I was also able to flash the meshtastic firmware linked from the Heltec docs without issue (using device-install.sh). So it seems to be something with my Arduino setup. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

ESP-ROM:esp32s3-20210327
Build:Mar 27 2021
rst:0x7 (TG0WDT_SYS_RST),boot:0x8 (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
Saved PC:0x400454d5
SPIWP:0xee
mode:QIO, clock div:2
load:0x3fce3808,len:0x39c
ets_loader.c 78

Just to follow up, I’ve taken the advice of another poster here and went ahead and treated it like a plain esp32-s3. In my case, I used the esp32-s3-devkitc-1 board configuration with Platform.IO and it is working fine.

2 Likes

Yes, this is the way to go :+1:. I did exactly the same, works without any problems. I used the following libraries to get the peripherals working:

• display: adafruit/Adafruit ST7735 and ST7789 Library
  • display: adafruit/Adafruit GFX Library
  • LoRaWAN: jgromes/RadioLib
  • GNSS: stevemarple/MicroNMEA
1 Like

Thanks for the recommendations! I’ve pretty much landed on the same, except I’m currently using TinyGPSPlus. I’ll check out MicroNMEA!

The difference is that TinyGPSPlus just considers the position solutions calculated purely from GPS, it does not recognize position messages for position solutions calculated by also including other constellations (Galileo, BDS, …). This is the only reason I prefer MicroNMEA.

1 Like

Hey I’m in exactly the same boat you were @heywire (arduino ide causes boot loop but mestastic flashes fine) but when I try to use platformIO to flash anything the board becomes non responsive. Could you share your ini file please and if possible some of your working code?

Sure! Take a look here:

Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you! I’ve gotten it working now after a reinstall of platformio as your code initially caused the same behaviour. I can only assume something had gotten screwed up with a package in a way that didn’t cause a fatal error to be thrown but was quietly failing somewhere.

@ksjh since you said you were using RadioLib for the LoRaWAN what pins are you using for the sx1262? I’ve used 13, 19, 17, 18 which the schematic lists as the right pins for what the constructor wants but the initialization seems to hang.

#define RADIO_DIO_1             14
#define RADIO_NSS               8
#define RADIO_RESET             12
#define RADIO_BUSY              13
#define LORA_CLK                9
#define LORA_MISO               11
#define LORA_MOSI               10

SPIClass radio_spi(FSPI);
SPISettings spiSettings(2000000, MSBFIRST, SPI_MODE0);
SX1262 radio = new Module(RADIO_NSS, RADIO_DIO_1, RADIO_RESET, RADIO_BUSY, radio_spi, spiSettings);
LoRaWANNode node(&radio, &EU868);

int setup_lorawan() {
  pinMode(RADIO_NSS, OUTPUT);
  radio_spi.begin(LORA_CLK, LORA_MISO, LORA_MOSI, RADIO_NSS);
  int state = radio.begin();
  // check state and handle potential errors, print debug messages, ...
  // state == RADIOLIB_ERR_NONE means no error so far
  return state;
}
1 Like

Wow that definitely has some stuff that the radiolib lorawan example did not include :laughing:. Thanks I don’t know if I would have figured out what was missing.