Wifi kit 32 V3 display 'class Heltec_ESP32' has no member named 'display'

Just purchased two of these boards and I get the same error on 3 build machines (all running windows 10/11 and arduino IDE 2.04). After failing on the first two for a couple days I did a fresh install on another win11 machine (Arduino IDE had never been installed on it before and I created a new user to install it). Same issue on all three dev environments and I’ve read other people having the same issue. I can try on a linux machine and/or mac but I’m getting a bit tired of this. Any chance this will be address soon?
thanks,
trent

We really need a bit more info, like an appropriate code segment and what version of the Heltec support software you have installed (you should be using 0.0.7), to properly scope this, but it sounds like you might be trying to use the heltec.h library, which is not supported by the V3 modules.

If you look at the relevant examples under Heltec-Example (WiFi_Kit_32_V3_FactoryTest or any of the OLED examples), you will see that your code should include a constructor of the form:

SSD1306Wire factory_display(0x3c, 500000, SDA_OLED, SCL_OLED, GEOMETRY_128_64, RST_OLED); // addr , freq , i2c group , resolution , rst

Hello UniquePete, Thank you for the quick response!

In all 3 of my arduino installations there is not a WiFi_Kit_32_V3_FactoryTest example, there is only the WiFi_Kit_32_FactoryTest example which I used thinking it had been updated to include the V3 board. (I guess I was wrong there). This explains why I was using heltec.h

I also checked GitHub for a V3 example but did not find one - I am using this link but perhaps it is the wrong one?

I am using 0.0.7 and this Board Manager URL
https://github.com/Heltec-Aaron-Lee/WiFi_Kit_series/releases/download/0.0.7/package_heltec_esp32_index.json

I’ll try changing my code by following some of the OLED examples as you suggested but if you have a better link to V3 example code it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks again
trent

OK, then have you selected “WiFi Kit 32(V3)” as your board? You will only see the V3 examples, including the Factory Test sketches, when you have selected a V3 board.

If you can’t see the V3 examples, I don’t think you will have selected the correct firmware option, basically the stuff for the ESP32-S3 processor, so I doubt that anything will work until you get that sorted.

On my Mac, the examples can be found at:

Library/Arduino15/packages/Heltec-esp32/hardware/esp32/0.0.7/libraries/Heltec-Example/examples

The Factory Test examples are then location in the Factory_Test folder. There should be some corresponding path on a Windows machine.

Thank you UniquePete! I finally got compilation working after move a few librarys over - that helped immensly.

Unfortunatly I dedicated 1 win11 laptop to this project as to not effect other build machines that work fine with earlier boards. I soon found that both my win11 laptops do not recognize the new usb/com port when I connect the V3 board (they do power the board though). Strangely, win10 pc’s do recognize the new port when the V3 is connected.

I’ve tried the usual, swapping usb cables, swapping ports, swapping V3 boards, rebooting pc’s etc to no avail which leads me to think there is an issue with usb communication between the V3 and win11. Not sure what it is, I do have a couple LilyGo S3 boards that sync up just fine which leads me to believe it is not the esp chip but perhaps I may be missing a library?

If you haven’t seen it already, this may be of interest:

Thank you! Yeah I had read that but my problem is different. The boards boot fine but the usb ports are not recognized by win11 on this particular laptop. Something is wrong with the win11 CP102 driver but I have having difficulty upgrading the drive.
At least the title is pertinant “Welcome to USB-C Hell”!

If I don’t get it working soon I’ll switch to anothe laptop I know recognizes it,

Thanks for all the help and joining in on all the fun :slight_smile:

Got it finally, had to stumble through driver updates on the pc. Thanks again!

Well, I am back. I’m trying to use the V3 board as a wifi/serial telnet bridge but cannot seem to get the serial pins correct. Using this guide, it appears the tx/rx are pins 43/44 but that does not seem to be working for me.

I have my rx/tx for serial1 connected to the silk screened pins labled tx/rx. Any thoughts?
thanks
-trent