Strange RSSI beviour

Hello

I have noticed a strange RSSI behaviour during a range test. I was usuing the pingpong example from https://github.com/HelTecAutomation/ASR650x-Arduino/blob/master/libraries/LoRa/examples/LoRaBasic/pingpong/pingpong.ino

With +22dbm setup, SF12 and standard antenna I was able to get over 1.5km line of sight with a RSSI of -89 to -92.

I went 50m more away and suddendly it was not possible to get a signal anymore. Is there a possibility to improve the sensitivity of the CubeCell board?

According to the Semtech SX1262 datasheet the sensitivity does down to -148 dBm.

Best regards

Do you have any ideas?

Indeed I still don’t fully understand the mechanism of RSSI calculation… please refer to this code from the original Semtech LoRaMac-Node code:

Here, it’s fixed by software… I don’t know how and why, so I just refer it.

I believe is a software problem, the communication distance is correct. you need place one node on a higher place.

As we tested with gateway (470~510MHz CubeCell and HT-M02 gateway), in CN470-510 band, the node’s maximum output power should lower than 17dB, in this situation, maximum distance is 4.5Km.

Hello Aaron :slight_smile:

I don’t use a gateway, I just operate with two CubeCell boards. Are the 4.5km in LOS conditions or through buildings?

Best regards

Hi, sorry for my poor English, is the LOS conditions means open area?

Yes, we tested in open area. If without a high gain PA/FEM, I think no normal LoRa node device can reach 4.5Km through many buildings.

Line Of Sight…