RESOLVED: Using OLED for own purpose

Hi,

first of all, i really appreciate the forum here and the great amount of helpful information.
I am new to programming and want to use a -AB02 with an external ublox GPS module
as a TTN-Mapper device. As a start i am using the example sketch “LoRaWan_OnBoardGPS_Air530”
and its working with no problems so far.
Unfortunately i am not able to display GPS information (lat, lon, hdop,…) on the OLED,
because it is used for LoRaWan messages. Even the GPS related messages in the example
sketch are not displayed.
Is there a way to disable the LoRaWan messages to use the OLED for my own purpose?
Any hints?

regards
rosch

OK, so i found my mistake, the HTCC-AB02S board uses a SSD1306 display,
whereas my HTCC-AB02 (without S) uses a SH1107 display with the same 128x64 pixels.

So just edit the line:
extern SSD1306Wire display;
to
extern SH1107Wire display;
and it works :slight_smile:

regards
rosch

2 Likes

Hi, do you have an example to remove the OLED functionality completely? Ideally I don’t want to use the screen in the field to try and maximize battery life…

Many thanks

You could try just using:

display.displayOff();

I’ve used this on the WiFi LoRa 32 (SSD1306), but it should be the same on the CubeCell Plus (SH1107). I then use an interrupt to turn the display on if I want to see what’s happening, then turn it off automatically [after a preset time] using the above command.

I’m not sure how the Heltec LoRaWAN stuff will deal with the situation though if it wants to display something. It might reactivate the display… although I thought you could turn the LoRaWAN display function off anyway…