NOOB here - How do i get up to speed?

Hi,

I’m an amateur learning this technology and would like to see a category for new users. the “Heltec Products Selector” is nice, but overwhelming for someone new.

Barry

What are you looking to do, have you selected a board?

thats the problem, I want to experiment and have no idea what to purchase

Well, if you feel like spending a little extra, get two pieces of the Heltec LoRa 32 v3, there you can play with Wifi, Bluetooth (BLE), & RF (LoRa)…Use the Arduino IDE, it’s friendlier for the beginner and YouTube is your friend. See the links below:

1. LoRa board
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076KJZ5QM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

2. Prototype board
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LFD4LT6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

3. Good series to start.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AlATlN95Y0

Good Luck,
Frank

Barry,

Hey, I’m also a noob. I’ve been playing with a CubeCell HTCC-AB02A for about a week - although today I’m buying a HTCC-AB02S which has GPS built on board.

I have to say that I’ve not been that thrilled with the documentation, however by piecing together docs and information from forums I’ve been able to get things working at least :slight_smile:

I guess one of the first things to figure out is what would you like to learn about? Are you interested in measuring things, activating things, tracking things? Because that will partially determine what board you should look at getting.

Depending on which country you’re in will make a difference if you’re interested in GPS as there are different antennas for countries / regions.

Also, how familiar are you with electronics, writing code and do you like to just figure things out?

James

Hi James,

thank you for your reply.

I’m ready to order the LoRA 32 version 3. I am in learning mode, a way of life for me. I do know electronics, Amateur Radio (K0BVT), and a communications person by trade.

Initially two things I’d like to do is monitor when an event has occurred that is too far for Z-Wave and WiFi and then tie integrate it with my Home Assistant.

Matter & Thread is interesting as well but until that becomes more mature I’d like to explore the local LoraWAN networks and even try to hit the LoraWAN cubesats which i believe they are MQTT brokers?

whats your interest in GPS? have you seen gpsjam.org? Also some folks using the GPS error on ADS-B receivers (i.e. flightaware.com) measured the ionosphere and recorded a recent North Korean Missile Launch.

I have played with the Arduino system, but lately with Home Assistant and SDRs are keeping me busy,

Barry

Barry,

I didn’t know about cubesats, gpsjam or flightaware. Those are all cool technologies that I’m going to look into some more. Very cool - thanks for the headsup.

My interest in GPS is more geographically local - I’m still formulating things and right now I’m just doing testing to understand how to make it work and researching reliability, accuracy etc.

I do have a ABO2A and a ABO2S. I’ve looked at the example code and written some code of my own which is working after some trial and error. I’m still experimenting. Bought some different antenna - so I’m testing those.

I also have a bobcat miner 300 but it turns out that I have pretty good coverage in my local area from other hotspots as well.

I have an interest in gas sensors that work with Arduino and so I will be combining those with some of the other technology.

Anyhow, if you have any questions about getting the Heltec boards up and running let us know!

James