Missing Arduino Tools flash size/partition scheme/etc options

Within the Arduino IDE, under the “tools” menu the normal flash size/partition scheme/etc options are missing when any of the “Heltec ESP32 Arduino --> WiFi Kit 32” (or others in the Heltec menu) is selected. However, when selecting the plain “ESP32 Arduino–>ESP32 Dev Module” those options become available.

Is there a way to choose these options (flash size, partition scheme, etc) while still keeping the Heltec board selected from within the Arduino IDE?

Environment: (all latest as of this writing)
Arduino IDE 1.8.13
Boards Manager --> Heltec ESP32 Series Dev-Boards 0.0.5
Library Manager --> Heltec ESP32 Dev-Boards 1.1.0

thanks,
Mac

hi,

WiFi kit32’s flash is locked in 8MB.

Do you want use the flash partition table(this option?)?

we can update this option.

Yes the flash partition table options for type and different sizes would be great to eventually get added. Thanks.

Flash options pic 1

Flash options pic 2 - ignore highlighted blocks

I need to be able to change the partition size. I need the “Tools” -> “Partition Scheme: XX” -> *“Huge App 3MB no OTA/1MB SPIFFS” option or something similar the “ESP32 Dev Module” board has. Is there a time table to unlock this feature?

For WiFi_Kit_32, you can directly use the development environment of “ESP32 Dev Module”. For LoRa-related ESP32 series products, we are not currently planning to use the partition scheme, because the license related to LoRaWAN has been written into FLASH.

So just select “ESP32 DEV Module” for the board in “board manager” and it should be fine? I’ll still be able to use the screen?

If you want to use the related display routines of HelTec, you need to make some changes to the code.

Changes to my code? I would have to send text to a generic display not the Heltec display. I would need libraries to run the display.

If you use a generic display, just use the corresponding library without modifying the code.