LORAWAN_Net_Reserve = ON. How to use this feature on Cubecell HTCC-AB02

Hello
I am building application that measures temperatures. I want to be able to reset the device and just send data, without the need to join the network (I have the uplink mode set to UNCONFIRMED and I use OTAA mode).

The device I use is CubeCell HTCC-AB02 and the server - The Things Network

There is this parameter in Arduino config LORAWAN_Net_Reserve and in description there is:

/* set LORAWAN_Net_Reserve ON, the node could save the network info to flash, when node reset not need to join again */
bool keepNet = LORAWAN_NET_RESERVE;

Do you have any example where this feature is used? I looked and cannot find anything about it.

When I set LORAWAN_Net_Reserve to ON in Arduino IDE I am getting this error:

00:59:06.953 -> Wait 3s for user key to rejoin network
00:59:06.953 -> LoRaWAN EU868 Class A start!
00:59:07.186 -> User key not detected,Use reserved Net
00:59:07.219 -> Next packet send 26561 ms later(random time from 0 to APP_TX_DUTY)

Should I disable Frame Counter on server side using CLI? (if yes please help me how to do it - this is what i researched but I have no idea how to do it)

I will be grateful for any help.
Regards,
Luke

Hi @lukasw, as far as I can find, the ASR6502 does not really have persistent storage, and therefore requires to rejoin on every reset/reboot.
If you really have trouble with this, you could try taking a look at using ABP, but I don’t think this will improve the situation by much. You will need to disable frame counter checks in that case; if you tell which LNS you use we may be able to assist here (e.g. TTN).

But if you really want to have persistent LoRaWAN sessions, I recommend you to use one of the new ESP32 boards (V3) and use RadioLib; this comes with ‘out-of-the-box’ persistent sessions.

1 Like

Hi @bns ! Thanks a lot for answering on my thoughts! I really appreciate this. I will look at ABP then. What I want to achieve is just that the devices will send the information all the time to the same gateway and make them not to have join the network every time after resetting the board. As LNS I am using TTN. If you are so kind, I would appreciate any guidance how to disable frame counter checks and what shall I do with my end device. Thanks a lot once again!