LoRa 32 shows up in "Other Devices" not "COM" in the Device Manager

When connecting my LoRa 32 to my Windows PC, it shows up in “Other Devices” and not in “Ports (COM & LPT)” in the Device Manager. I’ve tried to uninstall it but it still re-appears in Other Devices. So I can’t select the port when trying to flash the device.

The name of the device appears as “CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller” which I believe is correct. But I can’t get a COM port number.

Perhaps your port is occupied by another webpage.

Thanks. I’m not sure that’s the problem unless I’m misunderstanding you. I’ll provide some more details: I bought a Heltec LoRa 32 V3 and then followed a YouTube video on how to flash it. I attached the antenna. Then I held down the BOOT button and connected it to my PC with a USB C cable (capable of data, not just power). The next step is to use the Windows Device Manager to get the port number by looking under Ports (COM & LPT). But the LoRa doesn’t appear in that list rather in another list called Other Devices. So I can’t get a port number and I can’t use the website to flash the device. Any comments would be appreciated.

Try holding the user button, pressing reset, releasing user after you plug it in. Also, USB to serial drivers have to be installed. For the ESP32-S3 devices some don’t allow easy firmware modifications

Thanks…that worked! The problem was that I didn’t have a USB to Serial Driver as you suggested. Installed the one from Silicon Labs. The device then popped down to the COM & LPT list in the Device Manager and I got a COM port number. Sailed through the rest of the setup.