HTCC-AB02S (CubeCell GPS) GPS-only example connects to 17 satellites, but

For some reason, with the same hardware, outdoor positioning, and the same GPS source code (checked by diff) between a GPS-only program (printGPSInfo.ino) and the GPS/LoRa program (LoRaWan_OnBoardGPS_Air530Z.ino) are getting different numbers of satellite connections to the satellite network. I have made sure in the GPS library file (GPS_Air530Z.h/cpp) to be using all of GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou, etc – but when also using LoRa, the GPS signal shows lat/long at 0.0000/0.0000 and the date/time as both “INVALID”.

My question: is this a hardware issue when using two antennas at once? Since GPS and LoRa are in wildly different bands, my first instinct is that this should not affect either signal. Furthermore, why is there still a GPS connection to 5 satellites but showing incorrect position in the GPS/LoRa program, versus a strong, immediate connection to 10+ satellites in the GPS-only program?

Otherwise, my experience with this board has been excellent. I am probably just doing something wrong. Any other information can be provided on request – thank you in advance.

1 Like