HTCC-AB01 Range Lora vs LoraWan

Hello,
Background: I have some problems connecting (joining) my device to the TTN even if everything should be correctly setup with keys and ids (problems with both ABP and OTAA, EU868). Since I don’t own my own gateway my guess right now is that my device might be to far away to establish a connection (even though I should be inside radius of 2 different gateways and I can establish a connection with another device (paperinode).

Question: Since I have two HTCC-AB01 I also tried the pingpong example instead and there I could continue the communication walking a distance of about 50 meters. Is that a distance that one can expect or should it be longer?

What a the different ranges that I can expect for Lora communication between two HTCC-AB01 vs what can I expect for a HTCC-AB01 connecting to a public gateway.

BR Arvid

Suggest you read up on Lorawan as you seem to be missing the basics, re distance, day to day line of sight 10-50km are possible, 5-15km outdoors average.

TTN does not recommend ABP, OTAA is the route to go - you need to read up on Lorawan, read the TTN support docs, follow setting up a new device in the V3 console, burn your code using the device credentials from the V3 console, then test and monitor the device logs in V3 console - you are looking for join attempts first - if you dont see this then you are doing something wrong.

Yes that is exactly my problem, My CubeCell can’t join, even if it should, since I’ve setup devEUI, appEUI and appkey correctly for OTAA. I have done similar things with another device (in v2 but still) and can’t see what I’m doing wrong using the HTCC-AB01.

Therefore I’m starting to think that my cubecell might have a way shorter range that one can expect. However what I don’t know is what range to expect on node-to-node using lora only, as my guess is that the range would be shorter than connecting to a gateway using lorawan, but not that short as my simple test gave?

Line of sight transmission for lorawan is many km, work on 5km min, this of course all assumes you are near working gateways - what if they are down? as they belong to other people then you can be chasing issues like this for weeks never know if they are running.

All devices registered on V3 from now on will get routed properly via V2 and V3 gateways - that should not be the issue, if you device is setup properly and they are close enough to a gateway, if the gateway sees your device you should see it attempting to join in the V3 console logging.

Activity in the application logging on V3 console is you only help for diagnosing - what about the logs from the device itself? serial output?

1 Like