How do I Enable the Battery/Power Supply - Wireless Stick Lite V3

I have the Wireless Stick Lite v3. How do I enable the Power Supply or Battery input?

I can only power the board via USB. The power supply input doesn’t work when connected to a 3.7v battery, and the 5v pin will not power the board either.

Any help is greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

There should be nothing more required for battery power than to connect a battery via the JST connector on the bottom of the board. As far as powering the module via the [3.3V or 5V] power pins goes, I’ve never tried either but, according to the board schematic, powering the board through the 5V pin should be exactly the same as powering it via the USB port. (The 3.3V pin bypasses the on-board regulator and I have always used it as an output-only pin, like Vext but always ON.)

The only thing in the USB power circuit that is not in the VDD-5V circuit is a fuse (i.e. the 5V pin is connected into exactly the same circuit, but after the fuse), so I’d be wondering if I was doing something else wrong before declaring a problem with the board… Is there 5V on the 5V pin when powered through the USB port?

There’s a lot more in the battery power circuit, so that may not be as easy to check.

When I plug in the USB, I get the right amount of power to all the pins, including the power supply (Battery) output. However, when I plug a 3.7v battery in to the 3v or Power Supply port, nothing powers on. When I up the voltage to 5v and connect it to the 5v pin, nothing powers on.

I’m doing everything exactly like I did with my WiFi Lora 32 V2, but no results.

You cannot provide power through the 3V3 pin nor the VExt pin. You can only connect a battery functionally through the 2×1.25 JST header.

Even when I supply 3.7v, the board doesn’t power on.

How do you check if the board is powered?

I’m an idiot. There’s no lights when it’s connected to the battery… I should learn to check better.

1 Like

That’s what my next question would be :wink: glad you figured it out!

I appreciate the support. That one question solved everything for me :slight_smile: Thank you!

Sorry to revive old thread but I have question about powering up WSLV3 board. So I can only power board through usb or JST header. There is no any option to bring external 5V power to some pins to power up board?

The reply that you quoted talks about a battery specifically.

You have the following options to power a V3 board:

• USB connector (5V, also results in a 5V output at the 5V pin)
  • 5V pin (5V only)
  • JST header (2.7V - 4.2V input range, supports a battery (incl. charging), doesn’t generate 5V at 5V pin)
1 Like

Looking at the schematic, I see no real reason why this should not be possible. I am not saying that you should do this, since you really need to be sure that the supply is at 3.3 V (and not 3.7 V or even 4.2 V directly from a lithium battery), because this pin is directly connected to the ESP32 S3 without any voltage regulation in between. Obviously it would not charge a connected battery. But if you do not supply voltage via USB at the same time (so, when programming the board better unplug you 3.3 V supply) and do not connect a battery, everything else should work like normal when you supply 3.3 V on the 3V3 pin.

1 Like

Technically, it might even be possible to supply a lower voltage than 5 V at the 5V pin, since it supplies the LDO (CE6260B33M) via a Schottky diode at the same point as the battery. A battery connected at the 5V pin would not get charged, but as long as the battery can provide a high enough voltage, it should work. You should be able to power the board from a voltage as low as 4 V at the 5V pin. But then, do not connect an additional battery to the JST connector and be very careful again when programming the board via USB, the 5V pin is connected to VBUS from USB just with a fuse (no diode).

1 Like

Note though that the 5V ‘pin’ connects immediately after the fuse in the USB circuit, so any power, of appropriate voltage, provided at that point should be able to perform the same functions as power derived though the USB connection. Indeed, in my own applications, I power this board (and the WiFi LoRa 32) with an external [5V] power source, which could be a solar panel, through the 5V pin. This power source also then charges, via the on-board charging circuitry, a battery I have connected, through the on-board JST connector, for backup purposes.

My circuit also includes Schottky diodes in my external power supply circuit (primarily because there are multiple potential sources—external power supply module and solar panel—in this external circuit) but these won’t protect a USB source if another 5V source is connected at the same time. So, as you more or less suggest, no voltage should be applied to the 5V pin when the board is connected to a USB source.

1 Like

Yes, I’m pretty sure I’ve read, somewhere along the line, that you can provide 3.3V through the 3.3V pin, but that this voltage should be regulated (for the reason you note).

1 Like

For most folks here, I wouldn’t recommend those techniques :wink:

1 Like