Heltec HT-M2808 RSSI sensitivity

Thank you.

I have sent you a private message @Supporter through the forum with a little more explanation. I don’t think it is appropriate to share all details on a public forum to prevent ill intentions.

For others in this topic:
Please refrain from accusations without clear proof. It does not help the discussion and is just noise.

3 Likes

Too much technical info for my brain. Is the thinking that it’s a software issue that can/will be patched? I sold my two Heltecs to a friend and my brother (at cost). If it’s a hardware problem I will trade them out for MNTD’s I just got.

2 Likes

It seems to be a hardware issue based on the last info from Discord:

LED-Maniak Today at 2:07 PM
My heltec finally works. But it costs you 500+ euro in equipment to get this far

@LED-Maniak Will you be explaining what you did so we can all benefit or just make a statement and then go silent? Don’t want to be rude, I am sure you spent a lot of time on the solution, but we are all stressing out on our Heltecs, so any help will be appreciated.

[LED-Maniak] I’m not going to unfortunately. I already shared the whole setup with Heltec
The reason is that it can be used for some severe gaming(and a LOT of HNT a day ).

Ok, I will play along. Just tell us this: are in your opinion the Heltecs fixable by patch or do we have paperweights

[LED-Maniak] I’m not sure if they will be able to… I give it a 60% chance.

You are using some sort of amplifier that we already know

[LED-Maniak] Then don’t make cost estimates. It’s not as simple as just a bi-directional amplifier
Today I understood there are COTX devices with similar issues though not sure if it is related, but could be!

2 Likes

Is there an update regarding this situation. This was ealrier on when mentioned there was an update today, however there was no improvement after the syncing issue was solved

Allen- We r working on solving the rssi issues and all r undergoing well

Allen - hopefully will be carried out the solution shortly.

You’d think they’d be working overtime on this and providing an update every so often.

Looks like firmware v1.2.5 has positive effect. I see RSSi in a much broader range now, down to -120. I have seen also positive reports on Discord. Hope this update will reflect today in improvement of witnessing.

All of mine up to 1.2.5 as well but no effects yet as the network activity seems to be playing up again.

The firmware update has made a difference to the range of RSSI that can be seen -120 however, the issue still exists of the Lora logs not being sent to the explorer.

You are aware that the Explorer API is down for the last 5 hours or so? You can check heliumtracker.io for the recent activity however…

Yes I am aware and have been using helium tracker for months now thank you

Just checked on the tracker as well. No improvements for me. All my hotspots running on 1.2.5 and only one is now witnessing EVERYTHING with -120dbm, but that one was the only one in my fleet that was actually working fine (apart from not sending MAAAANY of witnesses to the network). All my hotspots are installed by professional on the roofs of 30-40m high buildings in a big city. Neighbouring sensecaps are making 0.8-1.0 HNT a day and mine are pathetic 0.2-0.3

1 Like

I hope Heltec did not just simply add some dBm to the RSSI to make it look like it is lower. For now zero traffic, it can be related to helium so let’s see after those problems

These differences are not just reported in the loralog.php they are submitted to the helium network.
It can have a big impact on earnings(too low and too high RSSI get rejected) so I don’t think they just added a random number.

Only time can tell us if it is completely solved now. I’m just really happy that Heltec is quickly trying to fix it!

1 Like

Hi
Are you willing to do another test like the previous you did to verify the validity of their work?

Thanks for your work as of now!

Still no change for my hotspots. The only 2 units that were never affected with the sensitivity issue are performing acceptably well and all the rest is still garbage and not picking up anything below -90dbm. They all are running on fw 1.2.6 and the latest miner release.

This update did not change anything, even the rssi is lower for the same beacons which were higher before the update (I know that it can have many causes) but still it is also the SNR.
Seems that this update is trying to mask some hardware issue which WILL NOT work.

Heltec should address this is a transparent way and admit that they have hardware problem and fix it even if they have to send a new PCB to people who are affected.

5 Likes

I wish they would confirm or deny that there is a hardware problem!

The undisclosed firmware spoofed some extra rssi it seems but was quickly rolled back with firmware 1.26.we need new pcb

1 Like

Is there any update on this issue?