CubeCell Dev Board: USB, Battery and Solar cell

Hi,
is it safe to connect the CubeCell board via USB to a computer when the LiPo battery and a solar panel are connected to the board? Will the battery get charged via USB for the time where the board is connected to the computer?

Thanks!

Peter

hi,

please refer this schematic:

Hi Jason,
thanks for the schematic. So the crucial part is the charging management system, I would say. The power supply auto switch system looks safe to me. However, there are no details in the schematic whether the charging system tolerates a supply from USB (via D4) and via the solar panel at the same time. Or am I wrong? Thanks for you help!

Peter

However, there are no details in the schematic whether the charging system tolerates a supply from USB (via D4) and via the solar panel at the same time.

I don’t recommend you to do this. Inserting both at the same time may cause excessive current in the main circuit, which will burn out the TP4054.

BTW, Solar charging should add diodes to prevent recoil.

1 Like

@jasonXu are you saying that a diode needs to be added to a solar panel if it doesn’t already have it, to prevent power flow back into the panel at night?

The purpose of this: If you plug in the USB cable and the solar panel at the same time, adding a diode to the solar panel can prevent USB_5V and VS from affecting each other

2 Likes